Applied Animal Science Program
Pet Grooming Certificate Program
The Thompson School has a program leading to a Certificate in Pet Grooming. This day program is open to part-time students who want to concentrate in pet grooming but who are not matriculated in a degree program at the Thompson School or the University of New Hampshire.
UNH’s Thompson School is well-known for its strong career-oriented programs which provide a combination of theoretical classroom and practical in-the-field education. This Certificate Program draws upon these Thompson School strengths to prepare individuals for career entry-level employment in grooming, kennel and grooming business management. Students in this program will find their talents challenged and developed by a faculty concerned with student learning. students will be able to apply the skills and knowledge they learn to a variety of settings. If a student is accepted for admission to the Thompson School Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Applied Animal Science, credits earned in the Certificate Program are transferable.
Our program has several advantages over traditional grooming schools:
- Students may pay by the course, and wait for the second class to officially apply for the program. (Grooming school tuition is traditionally paid up front)
- We provide all the necessary equipment with which to start the program, excluding text books. (Most schools ask students to provide their own equipment) (Grooming Levels 2 and 3 require the purchase of shears)
- Students receive transferable college credits. (Grooming school classes do not qualify as college courses)
- Since many of our graduates go on to own their own businesses, our program requires students to enroll in two business courses. (Few grooming schools provide practical business education)
The Certificate Program consists of 19 credit hours of courses taken in the Thompson School’s Applied Animal Science curriculum.
Required Courses (19 credits):
AAS 230 Small Animal Breeds and Behavior (4 credits)
AAS 218 Careers in Small Animal Care (1 credit)
AAS 222 Small Animal Grooming I (2 credits)
AAS 246 Animal Business Applications (4 credits)
AAS 224 Small Animal Management (3 credits)
TSAS 205 Computers in the Workplace (2 credits)
AAS 233 Small Animal Grooming II (2 credits)
AAS 263 Small Animal Grooming III (1 credit)
A certificate in Pet Animal Grooming will be awarded by The Thompson School of Applied Science upon successful completion of the required courses with an overall grade average of C (2.00) or better. Students must receive a C or better to continue on to AAS 222 Small Animal Grooming I and AAS 233 Small Animal Grooming II. A permanent academic record of courses completed at UNH will be maintained at the Registrar’s Office.
Application is made through the Thompson School of Applied Science. Transfer of credits from other institutions should be discussed with the Pet Grooming Certificate Program Advisor. Each student, once accepted into the program, will have a faculty advisor. Faculty advising includes program planning, career counseling, and information on transfer into the Thompson School’s Applied Animal Science Associate degree program.
Certificate students will register and pay for courses through UNH’s Continuing Education.
- Currently enrolled UNH students should complete and return the application form before taking a third course in the program (at the latest). Students may be enrolled concurrently in these courses while they are submitting their application for acceptance into the Certificate Program.
- Non-UNH applicants need to complete and return application form with a $25 non-refundable application fee. Checks should be made payable to UNH. The application fee is waived for currently enrolled UNH students.
- Non-UNH Applicants must also request that their official transcripts from high school, GED equivalency, and any college programs be sent to Certificate Programs, Attention Senior Administrative Assistant, Thompson School of Applied Science, 291 Mast Road, Durham, NH 03824.
- We recommend you set up an appointment for academic advising with our Pet Grooming advisor faculty. Please call (603) 862-1025 to schedule an appointment.
- An interview with the TSAS Assistant Director of Admissions is strongly suggested. Please contact Deb Pack at (603) 862-1025 to set up an interview.
Because of the few courses required for the certificate, normally only one course (up to 4 credit hours) will be accepted in transfer from other colleges. This course must be similar in content to a required certificate course, must be at least a 2-credit course, and must have been completed with a C (2.00) or better grade. Students believing they have courses that might be transferable should discuss this with their assigned faculty advisor.
>> Click here for more information.
If you have further questions please contact Allison Powers at the Thompson School. (603) 862-1911
If you would like to "test drive" this program by taking a course, you may enroll through UNH's Continuing Education. For information on when courses are offered, please see the UNH Time and Room Schedule.